Thursday, October 20, 2011

Styling for Men: Layering


Alright guys, a lot of you have asked me how you can change up your look on a daily basis. I hear you. Men seem to have fewer options in terms of accessorizing and definitely in types of clothes. Unless, you fancy wearing a dress, which I don't recommend.

For these chilly days, layering is the perfect answer. Alex and I had a fun styling session last weekend picking out outfits for every day, and dressing up. Here’s what I chose: 

I love the navajo pattern that's all over sweaters, scarfs, and shirts for fall/winter. Although this pattern has been popular for a while, I think it's a great staple for cold weather. Think of navajo print as a really easy way to add color to your wardrobe. If the sweater is too much for you, try a scarf or a solid sweater over a patterned button down.



For this look, I complimented the sweater with a light blue thin denim shirt. I like that this color compliments the sweater pattern without exactly matching one of the colors in the pattern. A pair of fitted, dark denim jeans keep the look casual and clean. Alex’s brown leather loafers teeter on dressy and casual, so he could dress the look up with a dark dress pant (navy or black).

Alex's outfit head to toe: vintage navajo patterned sweater, blue button down, and Levi's 510 Super Skinny Jeans, brown Stacy Adams loafers.

For the second look, I was inspired by Alex’s pink, short-sleeved button down. I pulled a gray vest to layer over the shirt with a chunky gray cardigan on top.  Black jeans on bottom, and amazing vintage leather mod boots. 



I left the vest unbuttoned to create a less conventional look and show-off more of the pink and add layers of interest. I like the grays on top, keeping it simple, but adding some dimension with different materials and shades. 



Alex pulls off the mod boot by keeping the rest of his outfit simple without any other flashy elements. These boots steal the spotlight. Let's channel our inner Beatle :).

Alex's outfits head to toe: SEE eyeglasses, vintage Saks Fifth Avenue pink button down, vintage gray suit vest, chunky gray Gap cardigan, Victorinox Swiss Army watch Levi's 510 Super Skinny Jeans, vintage mod boots.

2 comments:

  1. Love the way you layered the vest under the cardigan! Alex, you look great:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. layering is def. the way to go! I love layers!
    love the reference to channeling our inner beatle! :D

    Des.

    ReplyDelete