Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Styling for Men: Choose Your Shoes Wisely

As promised, this blog is not only for women, but men too! Recently, I had a friend reach out asking for help with his wardrobe. He's an average guy that's not looking to be on the cover of GQ, but he wants to be stylish, and maybe even impress his wifey.  I thought of a few basics to help serve as a styling guide for men and here's the first tip:

Your shoes say it all - I can't think of how many times I've seen a guy put together a great outfit, but then totally blow it with the shoes. Gents, your shoes are the window to your fashion soul! Shoes are the cherry on top (well, bottom), and whether they're casual, hip, trendy, formal, funky or simple, use your kicks to show your personality. Try to keep them relatively clean, and wear them for the appropriate occasion.  An easy way to pick your shoes for the day is to wear shoes that are more dressy than you'd normally wear.


During lunch today, I spotted Kevin at Jimmy John's and  it turns out we both work for Cars.com in Chicago. What are the odds?! Why did I notice him? His shoes! They are a rich brown color that compliment his dark pants and light shirt and he's kept them in great condition. I could even see these shoes going well with a navy suit for a casual wedding.


In a future post I'll talk about "fit", but for now, take a few notes from Kevin whose outfit is casual, clean, and still sophisticated.

Kevin's outfit from head to toe: button down from J.Crew, navy casual pant from Gap, and Sperry Topsider shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment